Duncannon Fort County Wexford.

 

Duncannon Fort.
 
Fort of Conán
This may be 'Conán mac Morna of the Fianna'

Duncannon Fort, whose strategic importance, situated on a promontory in Waterford Harbour, has been recognized and utilized throughout Irelands maritime history. From the 3rd century when a Celtic fort is believed to have occupied the site, until today when the star shaped fort surrounds a parade ground with a 30ft dry moat, built in 1858 can still be seen.

Duncannon Fort which is situated on a promontory in Waterford Harbour, has always been of strategic importance: a Celtic fort is thought to have occupied the site from the 3rd century AD, the Normans are also associated with it. The star shaped fort surrounded by a 30ft dry moat, was built in 1858 as defense against the possibility of an attack on the area from the Spannish. It is star shaped the fort surrounds a parade ground. The site

During the 1798 rebellion Duncannon Fort was used to house prisoners pending transfer to another location for trial.

During the Nine Year War (1641-1652) Duncannon Fort was beseaged no less than three times. in 1645 Thomas Preston of the Irish Conferedate forces captured it after a lengthy artillery bombardment in which the English commander was killed, and a ship trying to the relieve the beseiged fort was sunk.

During the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland, Duncannon was besieged again, as part of the Siege of Waterford, firstly in November 1649 by Oliver Cromwell and Michael Jones in 1649. The fort's Irish garrison held out and the siege was abandoned in December of that year. However in July 1650 Henry Ireton renewed the siege and the fort and town surrendered after the fall of Waterford, but before their food and supplies had run out.

In the Williamite war in Ireland (1689-91) James II, after his defeat at the battle of the Boyne, embarked at Duncannon for Kinsale and then to exile in France. Later his son in law and enemy William of Orange, marched on its cobblestones as the town and fort surrendered to his army without resistance.

The fort at Duncannon was one of the few places in county Wexford that did not fall to the rebels during the 1798 rebellion though a force sent out from the fort to defend Wexford town was defeated at the battle of Three Rocks. The fort and town then became a sanctuary for fleeing loyalists and troops in south Wexford and was also used as a prison and place of execution for suspected rebels.

Duncannon's strategic importance continued to be recognised throughout the 19th century. Napoleon sought and got intelligence on its strength and weakness, in preparation for a possible invasion of Ireland.

Duncannon fort was used by the FCA (Irish army reserve) as a barracks and training facility until recent years.

An added attraction from 2002 is the Maritime Museum which charts the maritime history of one of the most dangerous coastlines in Ireland, the Wexford coast

Tourist Information
Cresent Quay
Wexford
Co Wexford
Tel +353 (0)53 23111
E Mail
Web Site

Duncannon Fort incorporates a maritime museum, Arts centre, café and craft shop.
It is open daily from June to September.
Guided tours are available.